Sunday 8 September 2024

Spinning and Spinning Wheels.

 I am fascinated with yarn and spinning it:

Some of my spindles.
  

Recently I fell in love with an old Walnut spinning wheel on Ebay and I managed to bring it home! 

Hand carved Walnut spinning wheel.


When I asked the dealer if he had any more information about it he replied:

“It comes from an eighteenth-century country house in the center of the town of Balangero in the province of Turin. I know the family. The spinning wheel belonged to the Lord’s great-grandmother who gave it to me for sale. This gentleman is 64 years old. His mother was from 1930. Therefore the spinning wheel can be dated towards the end of the 19th century. The carving is the work of carpenters from Lanzo or surrounding areas. The design is typical of the Lanzo valleys.
Here typically walnut or chestnut was used, never birch”


I had told him that I have another wheel from Sweden which is Silver birch. Strangely here on my blog I don't seem to have added photos of that! 


Old Silver Birch Swedish Wheel.






I did document the one my DH made for me back in May 2015 though! It is in a previous post.

Now the adventure will continue! 


Yay! It works!
 

Let's hope I can really learn to spin well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment